Monday, September 19, 2011

The Wonderful World of Social Bookmarking

Social Bookmarking is a great tool and resource for teachers. A teacher has the ability to connect with other educators and see their individual bookmarks. It is the ultimate in collaboration and communication among educators. Maybe you have a great lesson plan website that will help me out. As long as we are connected through a social bookmarking network, I can see that link. Also, I can put tags on my bookmarks to make them more specific to those in my networks or even for my own comfort depending what I am looking for.

In my own classroom, I believe they have a lot of benefit. Social bookmarks can be seen by my students as they have the ability to check out pages that I have linked on there and also access a wide variety of resources that are relevant to our class. They may be cool facts, homework helpers or even just a nice supplement to the day's material that I can choose to assign for homework. I think Social Bookmarking is an awesome tool that can help my students to be informed about the class and also parents can check out my bookmarks and maybe understand what their children are learning about. I have the wealth of the World Wide Web to add to my Diigo page and allow my students to grow in and out of the classroom. When we do work in the lab rather than writing out a whole web page on the board, I can save time and keep my students attention by having them just simply connect to my Diigo page from the class website.

For me now as a a student, it helps just as much if not more as my future students will have. I can create my network of teacher resources and helpful pages to my studies and my life. And, instead of possibly forgetting what they are or having to email them to myself, I can simply bookmark them, tag them and access at any time through Diigo. Whether I am looking for sample quizzes, lesson plan help or cool historical videos to show in a future class, my Social Bookmarks lead the way. The Diigo toolbar makes it even easier to bookmark pages and I plan on using it alot.

No comments:

Post a Comment